In the interest of safeguarding children there may be occasions when the school has to consult other agencies without a parent’s prior knowledge. The schools first concern is the child’s welfare and the school has a duty to act to protect the child at all times. Such consultation may result in a formal referral which could prompt visits from social services and/or the police.
We fully understand that this can be a very distressing set of circumstances, but we can only assure you that we follow the procedures laid down by the Coventry Safeguarding Board, a copy of which is available in school as is a copy of our own policy.
In order to safeguard and promote the welfare of children, we will act in accordance with the following legislation and statutory guidance:
- The Children Act 1989 & 2004
- The Education Act 2002 (section 175)
- The Education (Pupil Information) (England) Regulations 2005
- Dealing with Allegations of Abuse Against Teachers and Other Staff (DfE, 2011)
- Working Together to Safeguard Children (DfE, 2013)
- Keeping Children Safe in Education (DfE, 2016), which is available at
- Procedures set out by the Coventry Safeguarding Children Board, which is available at
Our Child Protection Policy is available for download: